Why join AIO? …Here are ELEVEN reasons:
In addition to joining your peers in an organization committed to the preservation of the art of organbuilding you will enjoy:
- Convention & Seminar discounts: Your annual dues are deducted from the normal convention rate and there are similar discounts for those members attending Mid-year Seminars.
- Mid-year Seminars: Special hands-on seminars are available to everyone. Members receive early notifications for reservations; these events often fill to capacity and we are sometimes forced to turn folks away.
- The JOURNAL OF AMERICAN ORGANBUILDING: You receive a mailed subscription to the quarterly publication.
- Members Only Section: online access to this section of the Website for:
- AIO Journal PDF files, past issues
- AIO lecture Series from past conventions
- Technical Resources
- Formula Worksheets & Conversion Tables
- Proprietary Manuals from various manufacturers
- Links to manufacturers online service manuals
- Practical and theoretical articles on all facets of organbuilding
- Member Directory: This is a quick way for anyone visiting the website to find your contact information; searchable by state, city, zip code, member name or employer name.
- Member Portfolio: You have the option to list examples of your work in this section; searchable by Topic (consoles, Additions, Rebuilds, Restorations, New Installations) Builder or Member.
- Items for Sale: Access to listing an item for sale in the Resources area of the website; searchable by complete organs, parts, pipes and tools.
- Ask-A-Question: Participation in the AIO list server where you receive inquiries from peers and visitors to the website; and where you can post your own questions regarding all things pipe organ. Get help with technical problems or sources for supplies, materials and antique components.
- Job Opportunities: Access to listing openings in your company.
- Supplies & Service: Do you supply to the trade? Add your name to this list in the Resource Section.
- Industry Events Calendar: Access to adding events such as Recitals, Dedications, Open Houses.
New members are nominated to one of three AIO membership categories: Regular membership is open to full-time North American builders and maintenance technicians with at least five years’ experience. Associate membership is for full-time apprentices with less than five years in the profession. Affiliate membership is for those who are not full-time builders or maintenance technicians, those who are full-time students under the age of 25, (in possession of a valid school ID), as well as non-North American builders and persons in allied professions.
All nominees are asked to obtain the nominating signature of a current Regular or Charter AIO member. Nominees for Regular (voting) membership should also ask two additional Regular or Charter AIO members to act as references. Each reference will be contacted and asked to vouch for the nominee’s work and business ethics.
Potential nominees for Regular membership who cannot find two additional AIO references may be nominated in the Associate category. All Associate members must apply for Regular membership after five years by supplying the two additional AIO references and an updated résumé. No additional joining fee is required to become a Regular member.
Annual membership dues for all AIO members are $125.00, payable in advance during the last quarter of each year. Each member receives a subscription to the Institute’s quarterly publication, Journal of American Organbuilding, and periodic mailings from the executive secretary’s office. In addition, AIO members are eligible for reduced registration fees at the Institute’s annual conventions.
A one-time joining fee of $50.00 is required of all successful nominees. A deposit of $25.00 should be mailed along with the membership nomination form. This deposit is credited toward the joining fee. Should the nominee not qualify for membership, the deposit will be returned.
Approval for membership is granted by the Institute’s board of directors after the nominee’s name has been published in the AIO Journal. Nominees wishing to qualify for the October convention registration discount should mail their form by August 1. Approved nominees become members upon payment of the remaining $25.00 portion of the joining fee and the coming year’s dues (prorated for those accepted in April).
Membership Application PDF
Please contact the executive secretary’s office at the address given below if you need assistance in locating AIO members in your area who could be asked to provide a nomination or reference. After completing the attached nomination form, mail it along with a deposit check ($25.00, payable to AIO) to the address below.
American Institute of OrganbuildersPost Office Box 35306Canton, OH 44735
telephone: (330) 806-9011e-mail: AIOExecutiveSecretary@gmail.com